Monday, July 14, 2025

HAM & SPAM By Susan Isla Tepper


Try and conceal your darkness

flashing those angry yellow teeth

a smile meant to fool

it sure ain’t me you’re fooling

 

I can tell the difference

between ham and spam

 

You grew up with a silver spoon

as they used to say—

I grew up mowing the grass

when my dad had to be away

 

I learned to count raindrops in numbers:

 

Carry in a load of firewood

ball up some newspaper

light it then light the kindling.

 

Bake a cake or make the supper

when my mom had to work

nights to help bring home the bacon.



Don’t mess with me.

I can piss like a dog against a wall

if necessary.




Susan Isla Tepper is a twenty year writer in all genres. Her most recent book, a Novel titled Hair Of A Fallen Angel, came out in the fall from Spuyten Duyvil Books, NYC. Tepper has also written 7 stage plays. Her third play titled EVA & ADAMO will present at The Tank, NYC, early fall. www.susantepper.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

William Carlos Williams, volume II By Janette Schafer

This is just to say if you had written more like this, steeped in affection, tongue firmly in cheek, lush enough to taste cold fruit in my m...