Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Taking The Dogs Out By Jake St. John


I fell down 
the stairs 
again 
tonight 

feet skyward
eye level
spotlighted
in the overhead
lamp

the banister 
hovering
just out of reach

as I land
on my 
tailbone 

in a pile
of kids
sneakers

paint cans 
flying
in all directions

I struggle 
to my feet
 
and realize
none of my friends 
will believe 

I was sober.

  



Jake St. John lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon River. He is the author of several collections of poetry including Ring of Fog (Holy and Intoxicated Publications, 2022), Night Full of Diamonds (Whiskey City Press, 2021), and Lost City Highway (A Jabber Publication, 2019). He is the editor of Elephant and is considered an original member of the New London School of poetry. His poems have appeared in print and online journals around the world



No comments:

Post a Comment

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...