Thursday, April 9, 2026

THE ENCOUNTER By Michael Minassian


A woman sits next to me

at the bar, and glances


at my pint of ale.

I hear her say, the same, 


then I turn to her

to say good choice.


But she points to the clock,

you have 30 seconds to recognize me.


Running through several scenarios

from my past, I wonder 


if I slept with her,

or brushed up against her poetry.


One-night stands less embarrassing

than workshop frictions,


collaborative writing,

or open readings.


When I glance in the mirror,

the woman is gone,


her empty glass on the bar.

I never find out who she is.


My past crowded with characters

in the topography of memory,


uncertain landscapes

that belong to someone else.



MICHAEL MINASSIAN is a Contributing Editor for Verse-Virtual, an online poetry journal. His poetry collections Time is Not a River, Morning Calm, A Matter of Timing and Jack Pays a Visit, are all available on Amazon. His collection 1000 Pieces of Time was released October, 2025 by Sheila-Na-Gig, Inc. For more information: https://michaelminassian.com

 


 

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful, strong poem. The last two stanzas are especially powerful.

    ReplyDelete

Intangible By Jenna Restel

One more shot before meeting the floor, sinking into the hardwood.  Sweat from my skin,  spilled bourbon,  and tears all come together.  The...