Tuesday, September 1, 2026

The Inevitable by Connie Johnson



it’s when I dove into the wine of memory 

each sip revealing what I told you so righteously 

jazz turbulence  / & I reflect on everything 


caress my ear 

with notes of clarity / clear water

w/ waves of  nostalgia 


& Nina Simone!


tears   overflow     into distant waters 

Immortality! / & everyday this becomes 

more clear to me 


I’m no high priestess

I never implied that I 

was built for this


o soul baptism


I always knew 

I always knew

I always knew


you’d make me 

drown






Connie Johnson is a Los Angeles, CA-based Pushcart Prize nominee whose poetry has appeared in San Pedro River Review, Syncopation Literary Journal, Cholla Needles,  The Rye Whiskey Review,    and Writing in a Woman’s Voice. Everything is Distant Now (Blue Horse Press), her debut poetry collection, is available on Amazon; In a Place of Dreams, her digital album/chapbook, can be found at www.jerryjazzmusician.com    

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Called Him Norm By Matthew Ussia

because he looked like that guy from Cheers but that was before he got a giant scar across his whole face  from flipping a car at over 100 m...