Monday, August 31, 2026

Distant Shores By Leon Drake


I keep your name

in the glove compartment

with the old receipts

and a map

to somewhere

we never went.


Funny how

you can spend years

trying to get somewhere

only to discover

you were already there.


We became

distant shores

not enemies,

not strangers,

just two pieces of land

with too much ocean

between them.


Sometimes at night

I still look toward

the water

as if you might be

standing there,


waving.


And sometimes

I wave back.


Not because

I expect you to see me,


but because

some goodbyes

deserve

a little kindness.





Leon Drake is a Toronto based poet.

His work has been published in Fixator Press, The Literary Underground, The Rye Whiskey Review, Spill The Words Press, Horror Sleaze Trash, Sava Press and The Crossroads Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Distant Shores By Leon Drake

I keep your name in the glove compartment with the old receipts and a map to somewhere we never went. Funny how you can spend years trying t...